Hey guys, lately I’ve noticed a bit of a debate whether you should be; Vegan, Vegetarian or straight up Carnivorous. I’m here to help you. I want you to make you’re decision based on what you want for your health. Not because of some trend or because you were pressured into it.
I’m going to start with myself and as we go on we’ll stray away from my knowledge. I’m not going to give up random inaccurate information. I’m doing research and I’m talking to vegans and vegetarians to get correct information. This blog will not include any pictures because I do not want to insult/disgust anyone.
Lets start of with the Meat
There’s a few pro’s for being a meat-eater.
- Meat is the best source of protein, which the body needs to function optimally.
- Red meat is also a good source of iron, vitamin B, riboflavin, thiamin and niacin.
- Meat is pretty cheap in comparison with fresh veggies and fruits.
But there’s also a few cons.
- Meats have high levels of saturated fat and can raise cholesterol, if you’re just eating protein, you’re not getting carbohydrates, which you need for energy, so instead you’re burning fat, you’ll lose water from your muscles and lose muscle mass.
- Also, a lot of meats are injected with hormones and other chemicals. “Chlorine and peracetic acid are used to treat chicken at the processing plant.”
I myself am carnivorous, and I have my reasons.
- I live on an island where you can’t plant
shitsquat. so veggies are imported which makes them super expensive. treated veggies are already expensive, let alone organic veggies.
- I don’t do the groceries here, my mom does. She can’t afford the expensive veggies and neither can I, so we use meat to fill up the plate as well.
- I happen to like meat. I still eat pretty healthy, for example turkey and lean meat, but I still get my veggies in. Frozen veggies that have to be steamed that is. Veggies are veggies right? no.
On to the vegetarians!
Pros of being a vegetarian!
- Vegetarians generally have a lower risk of developing high blood pressure, several forms of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
- The diets are usually lower in fat and higher in fiber causing them to be healthier.
obviouslynot contributing to slaughtering of animals for consumption.
Cons of being a vegetarian.
- A vegetarian diet will result in a quicker weight loss because it tends to be low in calories. this also means you’ll be low on energy.
- You’ll get more vitamins, minerals and nutrients, but you probably won’t get enough calcium (from diary) or essential fatty acids (from fish) or folic acid (from grains).
- Also noticeably absent from most vegetarian menus: Protein, which protects your immune system and builds muscle mass.
my brother happens to be a vegetarian and he also has his reasons.
- He generally does not like having toxins in his body, especially when they can be avoided, so he just skips the meat.
- He’s also just really into vegetables. He’s always enjoyed the wide variety of tastes that come along with vegetables and all of the different ways you can cook them.
As for the Veganism
Pro’s the vegans live by
- You aren’t making any animals suffer in any kind of way. I’m sorry I have to be the one to bring it up, but vegetarians still make animals suffer because they still consume dairy and egg products.
- The vegetarians reduced their risk to diseases a lot, but vegans have made those numbers dropped a lot more because the milk they consume isn’t treated the way cow milk is. Cow milk has a lot of chemicals in in because it has to be treated with a certain process
- Veganism is also about making sure the environment is sustained and as in balance as it should be. With this I am referring to the fact that it takes less plants to feed humans than it does to feed animals. With this we would be saving water and protecting mother earth.
Con’s the vegans deal with
- Cutting out dairy may result in lower calcium intake, which may put you at risk for bone fractures. Turn to dark green vegetables like kale and broccoli, as well as calcium-fortified soy products and juices.
- The body does not absorb iron from plants as well as it does with iron from animal products. Vegans should eat iron-rich plant foods paired with vitamin C to improve iron absorption.
- You may need to take vitamin supplements or find specific vitamin fortified foods to make sure you are getting enough vitamin B-12 and vitamin D.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, which are a key component of good health, are found in eggs and fish, so look into taking supplements to receive the nutritional benefits.
As you would imagine I have someone who is a vegan and he happens to be my cousin. Here are his reasons. according to my cousin there are two types of vegans, ethical and environmental vegans. He is both.
- Environmental vegan means that humans could be fed for a much lower cost compared to animals when eating plants. This means that because there would be a reduction in amount of plants necessary there would be less greenhouses, and less greenhouse gases would be released thus there would be less polluting.
- Ethical vegans are more concerned about the animals (Non-human animals) and their rights. With that it is meant that since you can’t go around killing other people it should be the same with animals. To give them the same respect you would give a human. Animals just like humans have feelings and it is to create boundaries with them and not to over step these boundaries. It may not seem fair because predators will kill the prey, for example a lion will kill a zebra, but his sole purpose of killing the zebra was so he could survive. Humans are much different. Humans kill so they can consume and for pleasure. That’s where Animal rights come in.
I want to encourage you guys to try out every diet choice before you actually make a choice! I alone with few more people made a selection and here they are.
So for the meat eaters we have a delicious selection!
the average Bacon and eggs plate will do. I do advice to consider your type of bacon.
I’ve prepared a heavy dinner so we might want to go a little easy on lunch. How about the classic american Burger?
you’ve been having meat all day and I haven’t included any veggies, though these are still very important. so here’s a great tuna dip which you can double dip your carrots and cucumbers into!
Don’t worry vegetarians, we got some tasty meals for you as well! (I had my brother pick out his favorite recipes)
shakshuka will be a nice start to your day, something quick and easy and I know no one will deny that!
quinoa salad it takes up to 30 minutes to make this salad, which is a little much, but “nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” -Lao Tzu
It’s going to be a little more extravagant this time, you’ll be having the Butternut squash, chickpea and Kale Curry. Now this recipe does call for chicken broth but can be substituted with Vegetable broth!
Because you would be lacking in protein, I took the liberty of adding a Snack item with some high protein! There are five different recipes so I’m sure one of them has to appeal to you! Once you found the one you like just click on the pink words and you’re off into the high protein galaxy of vegetarians!
Vegans we got you covered! (My cousin made this selection)
Let’s start of you’re morning with some fruits! this Coconut Strawberry Vegan Yogurt should do the trick!
Lunch is all about powering yourself up before that 3 P.M. coffee crash, and that’s what a good chili will do for you!
Since you had such a heavy lunch you probably want to take it light with dinner, so a good quesadilla will fill you up just enough!
You might have a sweet tooth, so the Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats would be perfect for you! These are bite size and easy for an On-the-go Blog-reader. (hihi)
I don’t want anyone to be pressured into selecting their diet choice. I don’t want to be shamed for eating meat, if I choose to do so. I am an adult and I can make my own decisions. People aren’t always going to agree with you and you have to learn to accept and respect that. I don’t go around forcing people to eat meat because it’s more convenient for me while cooking or when going out to a restaurant. aside from all of the pro’s and con’s, please try to remember that due to health complications some people are obligated to eat or avoid certain things. For example some people can’t make enough enzymes to break down red meat. And some people are low on iron and prefer to have meat instead of olives and vegetables. Whatever your reason, let it be YOUR decision.
With all my love, Kamla!